The Medical/Dental Reception certificate is typically a one-year program that trains students for entry-level employment as receptionists in medical or dental offices as well as other outpatient settings. Students will learn theory and skills for both office work and clinical care.
Graduates of this receptionist certificate program are highly employable because of their general understanding of the health care delivery system.
Courses (30 Credits)
- Business Communications OR Writing Across Contexts
- Mathematics in Health Care
- Human Behavior in Health Care
- Medical Terminology
- Professional Skills for the Workplace
- Medical Law and Ethics
- Medical Office Technology (preferred) OR Computer Business Applications
- Administrative Procedures I
- Administrative Procedures II
- Outpatient Health Care Reimbursement
- Medical/Dental Office Reception Practicum
- The practicum requires 80 hours in a local medical office, dental office or clinic.
Students in the receptionist certificate program will also need to take a non-credit First Aid and CPR course, if they are not already certified.
|$159-$212/credit||$5/credit Technology Fee||$40 Application Fee|
|$6/credit UA Facilities Fee||$50 Graduation Fee|
|$8/credit Network Charge|
|$25/credit eLearning & Distance Education Fee|
Estimated Cost of Program Based on Current Rates: $7,316
For more about UAF costs, visit our Registration Guide.
Careers in Which Our Graduates Excel
- Hospital Receptionist
- Private Medical Practice Receptionist
- Dental Office Receptionist
- Clinic Receptionist
- Medical Secretary
- Medical Billing Clerk
Medical and dental receptionists are responsible for answering the telephone, filing medical records, completing insurance forms, billing and bookkeeping. Greeting patients is the most important responsibility because it is often the visitors’ first impression of the organization.
Applicants must have a high school diploma or GED. Special admission, licensing or certification requirements may apply to some students.
General guidelines for applying to UAF can be found here.
Get more information